Saturday, January 31, 2009

Another Update

Well it has been some time since I wrote but I have spent most of my computer time working and checking email. I have made great progress in the last week and it looks like I might be heading home toward the end of next week! Today I walk about 325 feet without taking any rest breaks and I did so without hardly locking my knees back. That is great progress seeing as though two days ago most of my steps ended with me locking my knees. I guess you could say I am making progress on step at a time.

My arms are getting better too. I still can’t lift them all the way up, but they are getting there. My hands and feet are still numb and they cramp up when my pain meds start to run out, but I am still able to use my hands quite well. I am typing this with my hands in proper typing position and they are doing pretty good.

Something new that has appeared is dry skin. It started with my legs. I scratched the calves and ankles to the point that I broke the skin in a few spots. I have been applying lotion at least three times a day since I realized what was happening. I am now itching on my legs, back and hands. My feet are dry too but they don’t really itch. Well, at least I can’t feel them itch, but that could just be the numbness.

It is hard to believe I have been in the hospital for 29 days now. There are times when it seems like only days and others when it seems like an eternity. To think of going home in a week or less brings up a range of emotions from happiness to fear. I am ecstatic to think about being home with my family and scared to think about the fact that I will be in a wheel chair and walking with a walker and still not able to do everything that I was able to do a month ago. I have been overwhelmed by the amount of support that my family and I have received from both family and friends and I would like to thank each and every one of you for everything thus far. I know we still have quite a long road ahead and I can only hope that everyone will continue to do what they have so far. Your prayers and support have been incredible. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Sweetheart, you are so awesome. You have faced this challenge with courage and grace and I am so proud of you. I know you will continue to work hard once you get home so that the wheelchair and walker can be things of the past. You are an inspiration to many. Our prayers will continue for you and your family. I love you bunches. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME to hear that you are doing so great!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete