Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Back on-line…

Well I have made it to the rehab center and I feel like I am improving each day. There is no wireless connection here so we have been trying to find a way to get me connected. We finally ended up getting a Cricket broadband USB modem. Now I am back on-line and I can work and play once again.

As I said I feel like I am improving a little bit each day. I am able to use a board to slide in and out of bed to me wheelchair. I can do most of the transition on my own, but I still have to be spotted. I got to the rehab center around 7 p.m. on Wednesday the 14th. On Thursday the therapy folks evaluated me and had me stand up, with lots of help, for about just under a minute. I have an elevated heart rate and on Thursday it hit 160 bpm and I was put in bed for the rest of the day. I did my therapy in bed on Friday, everyone was being cautious of my heart rate. It has been decided that my elevated heart rate is being caused by the Guillain-Barré and not one of my meds. I did 30 minutes of occupational and physical therapy on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday I had my first shower in two weeks, it was great! For Monday I did my normal hour and a half of each type of therapy. Each day I seem to be able to do just a bit more than the day before. Today the doctor said that I have probably 3 to 4 weeks left here at rehab. That is just an estimate based on how I have been doing so far. So, over all things are going well, but I can’t wait to get home.

I miss not being home with my beautiful wife and kids. I miss my puppy too. There was a therapy dog here at the hospital yesterday. It was great to be able to pet her but it sure made me miss home just a little bit more. Some days go by very quickly and some just seem to drag on forever. I have lost track of the date more than once but luckily they write it on a dry erase board each morning. It does not really seem like I have been in the hospital as long as I have, but then when I think about it there are some days that it seems like I have been gone for months, it is really quite weird. It really makes me thankful for what all I have and can’t wait to get home. For now all I can do is take it one day at a time…

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy you are doing better! I love and miss you so much! You are in my prayers! Love you honey! Bran

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all glad to see you're doing much better and that you are on the road to recovery! It'll be a long couple of months, but with the progress you are making daily, we expect to see your smiling face around here again in no time. Do what they say and get out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there - just got back in town and glad to hear that you are progressing well! We moved into the new building the day before I left for a week, so I'll be heading back to a new place on Monday <:o(

    But you'll be happy to know that IG has his place in the new room - but it's still weird not having you around after sitting 10' from you for almost 4 years!

    keep up the good work on the therapy... We're all thinking about you guys!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete