Saturday, January 24, 2009

Yes in deed I'm walkin'


I have been meaning to write for a couple days now and I just have not gotten around to it. The big news for the week is that I have been walking! I started walking between the parallel bars, and that allowed for about 4 to 5 steps, but the last several days I have been using a walker. The first day I went about 10 feet and it was an odd feeling. My feet are still numb so balance is a little difficult, but with lots of concentration I am able to stay upright. The second day I went about 30 feet and the steps felt better. I still can’t stand from a seated position on my own, but once I get up I am okay for the most part. Today I used the walker again and went about 40 feet. I have a harder time stepping with my left foot; I have to try just a bit harder, than I do with my right, to get it to move forward. I usually stop when my back starts to cramp up. It’s a bit uncomfortable once the muscles start to spasm, so that is when I decide to plop back down into the wheelchair.

So, walking was the big news but other than that I can report that things are going well. I am able to do a little more each day. It is either reaching a little further, pushing a little harder or moving a little better. Right now I think the thing I would like most, besides walking better, is for my shoulders to work better. When I am laying down I can move my arm from down by my side to up by my head, but when I am sitting down I can put my hand on my knee and lift it only about 3 to 4 inches. I know it will get better in time, but I wish it was better now. My hands and feet are still very numb. I do have some feeling but not much, and when I do touch something it is very tingly. The rest of my body has mild numbness, nothing major.

On Tuesday the doctor told me that he thinks I have 3 to 4 weeks to go, but that is only a guesstimate. I am by far the youngest person here but it seems that I may have the longest stay. I am not sure why everyone is here but strokes and surgery seem to be the biggest reason folks are here for rehab. I have seen several people leave in the week that I have been here and a couple new people arrive. Everyone is very nice staff does very good when it comes to taking care of us. They make you feel very comfortable and they do anything they can to make sure all your needs are met. I have been very grateful for everyone I have worked with. Well, I will have company very soon so I will finish up for now. God bless each and every one of you and thank you for all your prayers…

2 comments:

  1. I love you so very much, and am so proud of not only how far you have come, but how your outlook has been so positive through this whole ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT to hear!!! I know being able to get out of that bed and move around must feel awesome after laying there for so long.

    Much luv and hugs to you and the family from Texas!

    ReplyDelete