Saturday, April 25, 2009

Eating "Right"

Things have been pretty much the same as of late. I have not had any major breakthroughs or setbacks. I have just been. I have been working full time or at least close to it and my days have been I guess what one would call “normal”. Last week I started back up with physical therapy. This time I am seeing a guy who is a personal trainer and nutritionist. The big thing this time is DIET. No, not the kind that you hear on the news and on so many t.v. shows, not the lose weight kind but the kind that we all should follow, eating right. He has me eating things that are “good for me”, and to my dismay this does not include double stuffed Oreos, candy or Diet Mountain Dew!!! In our first meeting he informed me that carbonation is the worst thing for your immune system. It has to do with the destruction of calcium and therefore the lack of the ability for your body to absorb nutrients and vitamins. So, I have not had any soda since Monday, I have had only water. Now don’t get me wrong, a majority of the time it is flavored by Crystal Light or some other brand of mix in, but it is water none the less. I just have a hard time with just water, but I have been doing rather well if I may say so myself. I have been eating at least 5 times a day and fruits and veggies have been a large part of what I eat. I must say that it is harder to eat “healthy” when you really try. The grocery stores and restaurants don’t make it easy at all. I have committed to do my best with this new diet because I don’t want to get sick again. I have read too many stories about people who have had GBS more than once and I don’t ever want to feel that kind of pain again. There are many people that don’t have pain when hit with GBS, but let me tell you, it is possible. Just because your nerves are being stripped apart does not mean you can’t have pain, at the right stage of progression pain is excruciating at least for me it was. During our sessions we are talking about nutrition and he is slowly adding exercises that I can do to help build up strength and add muscle mass. According to the tests that were done I have about 5% body fat that needs to be turned into muscle and then I would like to add on about another 15 lbs on top of that. So, that is where I am at the moment, working on living a healthier life, and with the love of God I know it is possible, because through Him all things are possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Donovan

    I found your blog via Twitter - I've followed you- (searching GBS posts, because if you've had GBS you can't get a flu shot). I suffered from GBS 10 years ago, post meningitis. It seems no two cases are the same and therefore symptoms also vary. I understand the pain and that it's hard to describe it. I felt like I was encased in a metal body suit which had spikes inside and someone was tightening it around my body. Very odd. My skin became so sensitive I couldn't bear to have sheets touch me.

    I remember coming home from 7 weeks in hospital with a walking frame, shower chair and gizmo to lift the bedsheets.

    So how am I after 10 years? There are places on my feet which are still numb. I have minor muscle weakness in arms and legs. e.g. I have trouble getting out of a bath, more than 1 flight of stairs tires my legs quickly - but I still get there slowly, and minor stuff like that. Would anyone else ever know? NO

    I'm happy to read you're boosting your healthy eating. I found doctors to be not very informed about what steps to take to help recovery. If you find water boring, get a good filter so it tastes good or squeeze some lemon or lime juice in it.

    My interest in nutrition stemmed from my experience. When you get the chance take a look at my blog.
    http://naturalsuperfoodsblog.com

    Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    Kind regards

    Judi Jenkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete